Thursday, 30 September 2010

Yamass!

Happy Birthday to R! Tuesday was a day of celebration. At some unsociable time of the morning, forty years ago, and just three weeks late, our eldest son first made his appearance into the world. Being a clone of his dad, and a true Yorkshireman, he hasn't made a big deal of such an anniversary, although R & S (who also turned 40 recently) had, a few weeks ago, hosted a very successful fancy dress party with their friends It suddenly dawned on me, though, that I am older than I think (and on most occasions, feel), having a son of that age. After our grandchildren had returned home from school, we all sang 'Happy Birthday' to R, and enjoyed a piece of cake.

Leaving R & S's, we headed back home to pick up a large pan of gigantes ('big beans') to take down to the allotments. They'd been cooking slowly all day and the smell was wonderful. We'd already packed the car with the other essentials for our allotment party. I must say it turned out to be a fairly decent evening weather-wise, and our little band of plotters were able to enjoy a friendly get-together, until darkness took over and the bats came out. Thanks to Alma, Brian, Hazel and Catherine, who joined John, Mike and me at the bottom of the hill. Despite John's remarks, Hazel's wine (see her Blog) was rather good.

Just to make me very jealous, our friend's C & D sent me a text from Samos yesterday evening, to say they were just about to enjoy their last meal there (rabbit stifado) before returning home. The weather and the holiday had been good. Today our friends D & D will be back from Portugal. I suppose the weather has been good there too! I must say I wimped off and didn't go walking yesterday. I should imagine Chris, who was leading the walk, wished it had been like today, which has turned out to be very pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment