
During our Wednesday walk, Molly had mentioned that she'd like to see my allotment, so I gave her a call yesterday morning, as the weather was rather good, and we arranged that she would call round in the afternoon. I did warn her that there wasn't much to see there at the moment, but in the event and probably due to the fine, sunny day, there were plenty of plotters and quite a bit of activity going on at the Hill. We just had to take up Carl's offer to inspect what Wendy had done to the shed. Now boys - this is how a shed should look! Forget your spades and forks, bags of lime, plant pots, and noxious garden potions in ancient bottles and tins with unreadable labels. This is what I call a 'girlie' shed, full home comforts. No - that's not the gnome radio sitting in the corner (it's on the right of the shelf). This is Wendy who, together with husband Carl, has recently taken over the whole of the plot, after Lionel gave up the back half. I'd met Lionel in the supermarket a day or so ago and he said how impressed he was with their hard work. "They'll win prizes" he remarked. They already have done, and there's no doubt they will win many more. This may be unlike any man shed, but that's one serious gardener sitting in the corner!
After our visit to the allotments, I took Molly for a walk down the fields and round the lanes. It seemed that everyone was out enjoying the day so there were a lot of 'Hellos' along the way. Back home, and after a cuppa, Molly and I confirmed the route of our forthcoming walk in the Kirk Langley, Derbyshire area (mid June), and planned to pre-walk it next month.
Yesterday morning I'd managed to set some 'Alderman' pea seeds in loo roll middles (some will go straight into the ground in a week or two), given the moss its first mow, read some of the newspaper, started the two crosswords, and cooked a ham hock for our evening meal. In all, a very satisfying day.

The 'Paperwhites' in the conservatory are now almost over, and after flowering for some considerable time, are ready to be removed. As the hellebores at the bottom of the garden are in their prime at the moment, I filled a glass bowl with water and floated some of the flower heads in it, to enjoy their beauty close up. I spotted a wonderful yellow one in yesterday's Telegraph. A must have, if I can get it.
Time to get back onto the plot.
No comments:
Post a Comment